Song Analysis
When given this assignment I was surprisingly kind of looking forward to hunting for a song that really hit me or where it’s meaning really stood out for me. I am really into music and I listen to it all the time. Of course there were many songs that caught my attention, but in regards to the rhyme pattern, the actual lyrics and theme of the song and as well, whether if the music was taken away from the song would the words alone be enough for the song to flow and sound good just as the words. The song that I chose for this analysis is Don’t Speak by No Doubt.
Not only does this song flow and sound amazing but its lyrics are so heart felt, the words really paint a picture for the listener and they can really feel, clearly understand and relate to the song. The song can be looked at like a poem if the music was taken away from it, with rhyming lines like “I really feel That, I'm losing my best friend, I can't believe, This could be the end” (No Doubt), it has a pattern of A, B, C, B as well as “It looks as though you're letting go, And if it's real, Well I don't want to know” (No Doubt), with a pattern that is D, E, D. “Our memories, They can be inviting, But some are altogether, Mighty frightening” (No Doubt) with themes of F, G, H, G and also “As we die, both you and I, With my head in my hands, I sit and cry” (No Doubt) with a pattern of I, I, J, I.
The theme is clear within the song that Gwen Stefani is singing about, either a relationship between a boyfriend or a really close relationship with a friend which looks like it’s coming to an end. She can feel that it’s coming to an end and she doesn’t want it to, she also knows what either the boyfriend or close friend is going to say about the current situation and relationship so she doesn’t want to hear it because it hurts her to much. The mood of this song really is deep and sad, because it sounds like she really cares for the relationship that she’s in and it’s killing her to know that it’s coming to and end “I know what you're thinking , I don't need your reasons, Don't tell me 'cause it hurts”(No Doubt). All and all this song could stand alone and even with out the music in the background the words mesh together, rhyme and are so clear that it could be a poem.
When analysis the song Don’t Speak by No Doubt it was clear to see that the song told a story and the listener could clearly understand and feel the mood of the song. Not only does the song sound really good but if the music were to be taken away the lyrics alone would still get the message across and the words would still have a flow.
Metro Lyrics. 2000-2006. 04 February 2007 http://www.metrolyrics.com/lyrics/4745/No_Doubt/Dont_Speak.
iTunes, No Doubt. The Singles 1992-2003. 2004.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That sounds like a really deep song. I always liked Gwen's lyrics because it seems like she always has something to say.
I always really liked this song myself. I think because the song is so heartfelt it makes it more relatable. Mostly everyone goes through a time when they can realate to was she is singing. The fact that she actually experienced the same emotions helps listeners connect to her, you can feel her pain and it helps you get through your own.
That was a good choice for a song. you did a great job of describing what the song was about. One crticism i can give you is that the paper was repetative. you repeated some of the same lines that were not necissary.
It's my first time I am listening to this song, but it's a great one and actual to daily life.
Nicole, that sounds like a great song. I have never heard it but it sounds good.
Post a Comment