Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Magazine Analysis Blog

The piece of media that I brought into class and I chose to analyze was something that I feel is extremely well known in our society, mostly by women but also I am sure that men have some knowledge of this magazine as well. Cosmopolitan is a magazine that is read by women all over, and until I had really looked at it and got to use it for the exercise in class, I saw the magazine in a different light. When analyzing the Cosmo I found myself really focusing on a few main features, like the cover, the eye catching topics displayed on the front, the woman on the front what she is wearing, how she looks, and also her pose. Not only did I look at the cover but the insides of the Magazine, what was its target audience, the age range, what sorts of products was it trying to sell, and also what were the models inside like.

When looking at the cover of the magazine I was drawn right away to the model on the front, who she was, what she was wearing, and how she looked, and also her body language, whether she was in a sexy or seductive pose or a sweet innocent and inviting pose which is how she was. Then my attention turned to the huge bolded titles all around her. Titles like Naughty Sex and Lingerie Specials, as well as Bad Skin Day, these are things that I would expect from most women’s magazines but from the bright colors and look of the cover I feel that it would be tempting for a younger audience to be drawn to it.

As far as the insides and the meat of the magazine I thought that the target range that the magazine should be reaching out to was about 18 and up just because on all the heave and older topics that I feel a younger audience should not be introduced to. The look of the models inside ranged from sexy and seductively dressed with mounds of make up on, to cute and fun day looks and fresh faces. The ads inside ranged from perfume to hair care, clothes, accessories, health products cosmetic alteration slogans, birth control and many sex related products. The ads seemed to range from targeting a younger age with younger looking styles and products to very grown up styles and products like birth control, evening were, and also proper edict.

Over all I feel that this magazine is for a much older teenage audience and up to young women. It covers and looks at many older and flirtatious topics that I feel shouldn’t appeal to a younger audience. Although it is a fun magazine, with all of its inviting bright colors and gossip about all our favorite and big stars. It provides women tips for their health, outer appearance and also has funny personal experience columns that women can just get a kick out of or relate to. However I don’t feel that the Cosmo targets a more sophisticated audience just because there are hardly any ads regarding alcohol or night life and extremely high fashion. This magazine is fun and it’s a light read for older teenagers and young women.

3 comments:

Bethlehem said...

I found your blog very interesting because I am one of those Cosmo readers you mention in your blog. I can't say I actually buy the magazine and read it. I read it when I am at the book store or at a coffee shop or any where I see different magazine and I see Cosmo being one of them it is my first choice. What draws me to it the colors; fashions and women health topics. Time to time they have professional with very educational and awareness health issues that interests me and I learn some valubel lessons that I actually recommend other to read it. There are some topics that I feel like should be catagorized under adult magazine just becasue I don't think it is proper for young teen agers since anybody can buy the magazine. Well said enough about this. I have one questions for you, do you read it often? What do you think about it?

Jennifer said...

I like that you picked Cosmopolitan Magazine to use in this analysis. I have looked at the cover of Cosmo many times and noticed how the cover is usually bright and has someone young and beautiful on the cover. I think that the titles on the cover, such as Naughty Sex and Lingerie Specials would definitely be eye-catching. I agree that the wide range of subjects and gossip would catch the eyes of young women too. I really enjoyed reading this blog.

Alissa said...

Nicole, I have also read Cosmopolitan magazine. I like the health articles and the advice they give. Overall, the magazine would appeal to a young women.