Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What does it mean to be in harmony with the Tao?

This reading for me was hard to understand in a way, on one end I was following how the author Lao-Tzu was connecting the Tao which means “the way” or “the Great Mother” (Lao-Tzu 20) to every day life. My understanding of the Tao is that it is supposed to be the path that both people and leaders of countries are recommended to follow in their every day lives. Meaning to just let things happen, live your life to the fullest in peace and love, displaying strong morals. A leader is supposed to watch over his or her country, not try to be over powering or controlling, and doesn’t force issues. The idea of the Tao is that the world will turn out fine and govern it’s self, always finding the way in the end. Then on the other hand one quote that really threw me after I was understanding the meaning of Tao was “When the Tao is lost, there is goodness” (Lao-Tzu 26). This did not make sense to me because the idea of being in harmony with the Tao is to live ones life with good morals and being good to one another, letting the world be, and not forcing issues on each other. So therefore shouldn’t the Tao be a good thing? If the Tao was lost should that mean that goodness is lost? For a country to be in harmony with the Tao it’s leader is powerful only when he or she is not trying to be, people are working together and looking after one another. In following the Tao the world is as it should be.

Lao-Tzu. “Thoughts from the Tao-te Ching.” A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers. Ed. Lee A Jacobus. Translator. Steven Mitchell. 7th ed. New York: Bedford/St Martin’s, 2006.pp 22-31.

6 comments:

Eriktg said...

I was really confused with a lot of the statements in the reading just as you were. A lot of the statements like the one you stated above contradicted Lao-tzu’s main view on the Tau and were not really clear until class today.

Paul Leapheart said...

Personally, I was completely lost at times while reading Lao-tzu's thoughts, but a lot of it was cleared up during class today. But, I definitely understand what you were saying in your blog, and I liked your interpretation!!

Megan Jones said...

I agree too that this reading was pretty confusing. The entire thing is up to ones interpretation, so it will mean different things to different people. I agree that the leader is meant to not control and have power over his/her people. I believe the Tao is a good thing and when it is lost other things may occur, but are not as good as the Tao.

Cheryl said...

The reading was really confusing,but Ms. Welter as well as some of the students did a pretty good job of explaining the text.I think you gave a really good interpretation and it seems as though you really understood the reading.

Sarah Vanatta said...

I think the statement that you were confused about was meant to be read with the whole block. After Lao-tzu says that, he goes on to say what happens when goodness is lost and it basicallly ends up in chaos. I think he was trying to say that when the Tao is lost then there will eventually be chaos. But, i could be wrong.

Jessica WB said...

I like how you understood the reading of Lao-tzu. I agree, it was a more difficlut piece of literature, but If you keep an open mind, like I do when I am reading, you will be able to come back to the piece later (like we did in class) and fully understand what was meant. Your interpretation was fresh and I liked how you questioned what you read. It shows you were truely making an attempt to understand and agree or disagree with the thoughts of Lao-tzu.