Monday, December 3, 2007
Blog 16 (Gilligan)
From a very young age society can sway the thoughts and views of young children. Anything from music, video games, and movies can make a huge impact on children because they see how different characters act so they mimic that and think that is how life is or should be. Young girls can become very set on the idea of a “Prince Charming” and they scum to the idea that a women should be dependent on a man, that they should find someone to help them and protect them, and follow this ideology that the women is the dependent one. A young boy can end up feeling that when they grow up that they have to be the ones to supply and look after their princess. That the male is the one who has to bring home the bacon and be independent. Males are very dominate and Gilligan explains that Males are different from Females in that they take rules and regulations very seriously, and if another male were to break a rule it is in the nature of the male to fight in order to resolve the rule which can not be broken. Females on the other hand are different in that they are the type to disregard the rules and look at them more as guide lines in which they can bend and break if need be. I found this reading to be interesting and I found that the points that Gilligan made were strong and true. It was different to understand some of her points of view and understand where she was coming from at times but all in all I though that it was a good reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Watching or hearing about fairy tales at a young age can be a big influence on how a child perceives gender roles. You understand that idea very well.
I agree with you that Gilligan had many fascinating points. I loved her research, it just proved that young children do get the ideas of gender roles at a young age. All little girls want to be the "princess..." I know when I was younger I was obsessed with Pocahontis and Jasmine from Aladdin. Anyways, great job. I enjoyed reading your blog.
Post a Comment