Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Blog #11 Galbraith

In the reading “The Position of Poverty” by John Kenneth Galbraith he explains and describes what case poverty is. “Case poverty is the poor farm family with the junk-filled yard and the dirty children playing in the bare dirt. Or it is the gray-black hovel beside the railroad tracks. Or it is the basement dwelling in the alley.”(Galbraith 407) “Case poverty is commonly and properly related to some characteristics of the individuals so afflicted”. (Galbraith 407) Poverty is a huge issue in today’s world, it is every where, in some situations poverty can consume a whole country, not just individuals in particular. A country can be rich in goods, being land, forest, and agriculture and still the people are poor. Overall this was a hard reading to grasp, it was difficult for me to understand the extent of case poverty. Poverty can be over come, depending on the types of poverty whether is be lack of education which can be overcome, mental deficiencies can be treated, and physical disabilities can be remedied. The only thing that is preventing this or is the limiting factor is the lack of money. It is amazing how we as a society ignore poverty, it is everywhere and still we chose to ignore it and pass by it. Galbraith explains that a society chooses to pass by poverty because we do not wish to see it or deal with it. It is not an excuse, society has been ignoring poverty for to long and we need to man up and address this issue before it gets way to out of hand.

Galbraith. “The Position of Poverty.” A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers. Ed. Lee A Jacobus. 7th ed. New York: Bedford/St Martin’s, 2006.pp 403-413.

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

I think you brought up a lot of interesting points in your blog such as the fact that a place could be rich in resources and still the people are poor. If I am not mistaken this was also the case in New Orleans (but I'm not 100% positive). I also like the fact you brought up the point America has ignored it's problem of poverty.

Diana said...

You made his reading really clear. Yes America ( the land of the free) has ignored the problem of poverty. I feel the government only helps only if it will benefit them in some kind of way. Hey politics, what can we do about them. NOTHING.America is suppose to be the richest country. If we are then why do we have every state in a large scale of poverty.

sharnae said...

I agree with your blog. The government does need to stand up and handle this issue.

sharnae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica WB said...

I liked all the points you made in your blog; even the definitions your choose from Galbraith's own words. I especially liked the last few sentences, I agree with you that America should "man-up" and address the issue of poverty head on, other wise like in our next reading, the rich are just going to get richer and the poor, poorer.